Hinata Miyake (三宅 日向 Miyake Hinata) is one of the main characters in A Place Further Than the Universe.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Hinata is a teenager with long light brown hair that is tied up in a large donut bun, leaving two shoulder length bangs that frame her face. She also has light purple eyes.
She has a rather short stature, and is the shortest of the group. Hinata is first seen wearing a blue and white retail-worker uniform. Her casual wear consists of a green jacket with white sleeves, a yellow Onigiri rice ball/sandwitch/ octupus weiner/fried shrimp shirt underneath, a red miniskirt, and yellow/green/black sneakers. She also has a green variant skirt and later an orange jacket that she wears with her friends while boarding the boat to Antarctica. She tends to leave her jackets unzipped.
Hinata is one of the more expressive members of the group of girls, usually sporting a cheerful smile, even in serious situations such as losing her passport or being chased. However she commonly enjoys adopting comedic expressions when in the company of her friends.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Hinata is an extremely energetic and friendly person who radiates with positive energy, being one of the more expressive members of the group of girls. She is usually seen sporting a cheerful smile and she is able to stay positive even in serious situations such as losing her passport, or being chased. Even when her old track team talked behind her back and suddenly showed up to apologize, she kept her smile to hide her annoyance from her friends.
In high school she was treated badly by the track team. They encouraged her to do her best, then stabbed her in the back later when they didn't know she was listening. This has led to a deep distrust of people when they try to be considerate about her, as if she expects to be betrayed again. This also brought about a desire to be alone, and is one of the reasons she left high-school.
- "Shirase, I know you were trying to be considerate. I just really hate that kind of thing. I know that’s how relationships work, but when people try to be considerate of me it’s disconcerting, I guess; like I can’t tell how they really feel anymore. That’s why I couldn’t handle high school, and wanted to be alone as much as possible. At the end of the day, when I’m with someone else, things usually end up like this." (Episode 6, with flashbacks to the high school track team)
She commonly enjoys adopting comedic expressions when in the company of her friends. She has four Ganesha statues in her room, a Ganesha plushy and her phone wallpaper is Ganesha.
Despite her comical nature, she usually serves as the sage of the four girls, being surprisingly mature, realistic, and street smart. She is a natural when it comes to creating her own quotes or words of wisdom to encourage or help her friends choose the correct path of action. Although there are times when she can be hopelessly optimistic, as when she loses her passport, she opts to say things will work out "Somehow" stupidly exclaiming "Back at'cha" after being asked by Shirase Kobuchizawa what options they have to get the passport back.
Background[edit | edit source]
Hinata was originally a student, but due to troubles with on the track team, took to homeschooling. She was working her job at a convenience store when she initially heard of the plans with Shirase Kobuchizawa and Mari Tamaki to go to Antarctica as they were talking loudly about it. She was able to get on the expedition team after convincing Yuzuki Shiraishi to go.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "My current dream is to ace everything and show up everyone who goofs off in high school and fails!" - Episode 2
- "If you can still turn back, it’s not really a journey. When you hit the point of no return, that’s the moment it becomes a journey." - Episode 2
- "It’s a thin line between self-assertion and selfishness." - Episode 3
- "Academics aren’t like sports – anyone can pick this stuff up if they try. If you still can’t do it, you’re probably just not putting in the work." - Episode 4
- "Never think the stars you see are all the stars there are." - Episode 4
- "Sometimes, people are just mean. Don’t fight mean with mean. Hold your head high." - Episode 5
- "Keeping busy is the best way to speed the clock’s hands!" - Episode 10
- "To act is not necessarily compassion. True compassion sometimes comes from inaction." - Episode 12
Etymology[edit | edit source]
- The name Hinata means "sunny place" (日向).
- Hinata's surname Miyake means "three" (三) (mi) and "home" (宅) (yake).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hinata has mentioned many quotes, often made by herself
- Hinata is the only main character whose parents don't appear in the anime.
- Hinata is the only girl who dropped out of school; which was due to bad rumors in the track team she belonged to.