Kabukicho Fremantle is the second episode of A Place Further Than the Universe.
Synopsis [edit | edit source]
Megumi tries to discourage Kimari and shows her some concerning news articles about the expedition, which ends up with Kimari in detention for reading them on her phone during class time. Kimari expresses these concerns to Shirase, who is upset at first, but then talks it over.
Kimari gets a job at a convenience store near the school. Her co-worker Hinata Miyake inquires about the Antarctic expedition, and wishes to come along as well.
The three of them travel to Tokyo, to Shinjuku district where a meet-up of expedition members is being held. Shirase reveals her plan. One of them will seduce a member of the crew, and get him to sneak them on board. They are spotted by the expedition leaders, who recognize Shirase. The girls run off, but are chased down by Kanae Maekawa and Yumiko Samejima. Shirase offers the million yen to join the expedition, but gets turned down. The girls head home on the train in defeat.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Kimari and Shirase attend the fictional Tatara Nishi High School.
- The pavilion where Kimari and Shirase meet up is at Tsutsujigaoka Park.
- Hinata works for Lawson Convenience Store, which is located near the park.
- Kimari and Hinata meet up with Shirase at Morinji Temple (茂林寺), which has a large collection of raccoon-dog statues.
- After their first meeting, the girls go to Morinji-Mae Station. Shirase leaves on her bike, Hinata takes a southbound train by herself, and Kimari will presumably take a northbound train to get to Tatebayashi Station near where she lives.
- "Kabuki"(歌舞伎) refers to classical Japanese drama, hence the title could be translated as "The Fremantle Show". "Cho" (町) simply means town, as in Fremantle town.
- The travel itinerary to Antarctica is detailed in what appears to be Takako Kobichizawa's book
- Depart Harumi - Nov 14
- Arrive Fremantle - Nov 28,
- Depart Fremantle - Dec 3
- Cross 55th Parallel - Dec 7
- Arrive Syowa (not shown)
- Depart Syowa - Feb 22
- Arrive Sydney - Mar 21
- Depart Sydney - Mar 27
- Arrive at Harumi - Apr 14
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "If you can still turn back, it’s not really a journey. When you hit the point of no return, that’s the moment it becomes a journey." - Hinata, explaining why they might as well proceed with Shirase's plan. This is the first of Hinata's made-up sayings.
Music[edit | edit source]
The insert song for this episode is "Sora wo Miagete".
- Vocals: saya
- Music and lyrics: Fujisawa, Yoshiaki (藤澤 慶昌)